Friday, August 06, 2010

Gayuma ni Maria

Just got home from a fabolous dinner with the boyfriend. Sometimes, getting tampo can work well for me because I get to choose where to eat, even if that meant driving around Maginhawa Street to look for the restaurant. And tonight's choice was Gayuma ni Maria.

I wish I had a camera I can use to take pictures. :( I really have to go home to the province soon so I can borrow one of our cameras from my dad. Anyway, I've been reading a number of blog posts regarding Gayuma, and from what I've researched, apparently, Gayuma's first branch was along Katipunan Avenue. I think the first restaurant burned down, so the owners had no choice but to close Gayuma. And just a few weeks (or months?), Gayuma was back in business. I learned earlier from one of the waiters that they just had their official opening last Saturday.

The place looked artsy-fartsy with a lot of girly vibe in it. For one, the walls were painted with flowers and love messages/quotes. It has a very homey vibe, the kind that makes you feel that you can stay there for hours just talking to friends. And it's actually big, well compared to other restaurants I've visited along Maginhawa. They're building a second floor to accommodate more diners. But while that part of Gayuma was still under construction, the first floor and the al fresco area were already available. I like the first floor more than the al fresco, but Z joked that the open area could be a make out spot since it was dimly lit. Haha.

I initially looked forward to the ambience of the restaurant more than their food. Reading the menu was actually a fun thing to do. They've been very creative in coming up with names and descriptions for their food, so plus points for that. I ordered the 7th Chinoy in Heaven while Z ordered... I forgot. Haha! Basta it was chicken topped with cheese and mushroom and herbs. I'm sorry, I was too busy choosing my own food. It took a while for the food to be served, but we kept ourselves busy looking through the novelty items they were selling.

Finally, food arrived. Hay, no pictures. :( My chicken was really big; I wasn't even sure if it was chicken or pigeon. Hmmm. The thinly sliced fried camote (I think they were camote) tasted like fries, and can actually be very filling. I like the saltiness that comes along with it. The chicken had a tangy taste in it, and wasn't just your normal fried chicken. But what I really liked was the rice! Chorizo/longganisa with mushrooms tasted sweet and salty. It can actually be a meal in itself. It seemed a good deal for less than 250pesos. Z's chicken tasted okay too, but mine tasted better. Haha. Next time I'll try the cream dory with cocoa.

For dessert, we tried the Beats Sex Any day cake. It's moist chocolate with butterscotch and cream on top. Maybe it's just me, but the cake tasted too sweet for me. But I did like that the chocolate tasted so moist, kind of like the melt in your mouth thing.

I seriously want to try the other restaurants along Maginhawa. I like the idea that most of the restaurants I've visited brings out the frustrated foodie in me and that most of them really value the 'art' in their own restaurants.

No comments: