Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blue Roast

Last Wednesday, I was brave.


Part of the seniors’ tradition in Ateneo is to have the Blue Roast days before the graduation. Basically, it was a gathering among all the seniors at the Bellarmine Field. We get to enjoy free booze and if we’re lucky, free roasted calf and pig. But aside from the free things that comes with this night, there’s also different performances, awards given, and a whole lot of good vibes everywhere. And I guess, what makes Blue Roast even more special for some is the blue rose.

So I thought this giving of the blue rose was somehow overrated, like it’s become one of the cheesiest things to do in college. But apparently, as I discovered and shocked myself, it really wasn’t. Giving your special single rose is something to be considered significant if not sacred.

Thank you for the roses I received from the special people in my life, thank you for making me feel that somehow, I’ve been important in your lives throughout college. It’s nice to receive flowers once in a while, it’s even nicer when it’s a blue rose.


Thank you for the new friends I found. It would have been nicer if we’ve known each other longer so we can have more of this shameless fun. See you guys in Bataan!



Thank you for my first college friends. Being part of this block truly makes a difference. So thank you.


But most of all, thank you for accepting my blue rose. Though I couldn’t send mine to you personally, I’m happy to know that you’re equally thankful for what I’ve given. I wasn’t expecting that I’d actually give mine to you, but hey, it’s Blue Roast on your senior year and as we know, we always surprise ourselves during senior year.


Photo Credit: Patricia Lim and Cindy Gorospe

No comments: