Monday, April 12, 2010

Journal Entry #1

Today was the first day of summer classes, actually it’s our last first day of summer classes. Somehow, I like the feeling of remembering that each day would be our last as college seniors, and at the same time, I feel scared that we’re getting closer and closer to the end (well I don’t consider med school as college). So how did I spend my first day? On my way to school today, the trike I was riding was caught by the MMDA; apparently for violating the Tricycle Ban. When did they ever impose a trike ban in Katipunan Avenue where the heat is inescapable except when you’re riding a car or a tricycle? I felt bad for the driver who had to pay the fine which, I think, does not even amount to what he earns on a daily basis. Hayayay. I only had two classes today, biochemistry and practicum class. Biochemistry was a blah. Our professor kept on asking what the difference was between an organic and an inorganic compound, for 40 long minutes. Thank God for practicum class (and I’m not saying this just so I can get a high grade for my journal hihi).

Before the class started, I was expecting it would be just like I/O class. To be honest, I hated that class; I hated how we’d just sit there for the whole three hours looking at the powerpoint presentations and taking down notes about boring stuff. Buti na lang practicum class was so much lighter. The chairs arranged in a circle made me comfortable already. And it feels good that you can just talk to your friends about your experiences, your work, and even your lifetime goals. It’s light, and at the same time, very insightful. We were asked why we want to be doctors, and what Sean was true, I really cannot imagine myself becoming someone else other than a doctor. How shallow it may seem, but wearing a white coat or being called “doc” means a lot to me. And perhaps it’s true, we all do want to help people, in one way or another. And I want to help by going somewhere really far from the city, to places where the only doctors are quack doctors or their own mothers or fathers. I want to be that person people can trust their lives or their family’s lives as well.

No comments: