Tuesday, May 06, 2008

fisherman

In less than a month’s time, I’d be turning 18. While some of my friends have already celebrated their birthdays, I’m still contemplating on what I should be doing on that day. A day before my sophomore registration, 6 days before my first day of soph year and to me, seems like a very unlikely day to celebrate one’s birthday. Tuesday? Don’t people celebrate birthdays on Saturdays or Sundays? It just feels weird to me that while everyone else is working or preparing for school or busy studying in school, I’m jumping because it’s supposedly my special day. So I have this dirty little wish, that on this faithful day, people would stop working or cramming whatever and pause, because again, it’s my birthday. Pretty dumb I know. Because that’s the thing I don’t like about birthdays celebrated on April to early June, because people usually forget that it’s a special day for you. Why? Because we (yes, I confess I too am like this) are having so much fun during the summer we almost forget until oh-back-to-school-summer’s-over-nagbirthday-ka-pala drama na lang yun sunod. Hahaha. You can’t actually blame anyone for this since everyone makes this mistake right? But the thing I envy the most about people who were luckily born from July to March is how their classmates, friends, teachers and lovers get to sing them Happy Birthday or bump into these lucky people and greet them “oh hey, happy birthday! I bet you’re having the greatest day huh?” or something related to that. And I want that. I really do.

Another point I’d like to ask. What happens when one turns 18? I mean on midnight, if you’re very excited to wait for that special moment, does anything change? Do you strike out that ‘girl’ sign on your forehead and replace with a big ‘woman’ sign? Maybe it’s not as special as I thought I it was. Maybe it has been overrated. Or maybe, I’m saying all these things because I haven’t experienced it yet. And here I am talking endlessly about how overrated 18th birthdays are while I still don’t know how it feels to celebrate one and to feel like an adult. I should wait na lang noh? I don’t want to eat up any of the bad things I’ve said. Hahaha.


P.S. the title works like an insult to myself. :))

No comments: