Wednesday, February 09, 2011

New Dreams

So if you’re not up for another movie review then maybe this isn’t the right page to read. Can I interest you with my photo blog instead? But in case you’re still there for a bit of movie review, here we go.

Tangled has been shown for weeks now, but it was only last Sunday that I had the time and the company to go and watch it at the cinema. Can I just sidetrack for a bit and digress on how much I’m missing out on the new movie releases now? It just seems pointless to go to the movies when there’s no on there to laugh or cry with you. Eck, moving on.

The only reason I was forced to watch Tangled was because Love & Other Drugs was only being shown in Ultra 7, so might as well settle for something cheaper. Being a Disney movie, Tangled had the basic qualities one usually sees in Disney films. A pretty princess, a dashing young man or prince, an animal friend, an evil witch, and feel-good songs to sing to after. But other than these things, I think Tangled was able to stand on its own without forcing itself to be cute or romantic. I mean, it’s very different from last year’s Toy Story 3 with all the heartfelt drama of childhood, but there was definitely something in Tangled that makes the girls feel queasy. I mean, the sweet scenes between Rapunzel and Flynn weren’t that pilit, I can say they were funny even. But what I like most about the film is the flying lanterns scene. Sure, there was that part when Flynn almost kissed Rapunzel after they broke out into a song (which is must-download btw), what made me cry was the part when the king and queen released the first lantern, as a sign that “yes our little princess, we’re still here looking for you.” Just as I was still recovering from that heartbreaking scene, Zachary Levi goes off saying how what makes dreams beautiful is that once we reach one dream, we can make a new dream. I cried, seriously. I don’t remember crying in other Disney movies, but this one, oh my golly. Maybe it’s the senioritis that’s been infecting everyone else, or maybe the thought of having new dreams or fulfilling old ones touched a sensitive part of me. For a while, I asked myself if there ever came a point in my life that I attained one dream completely, enough for me to go and have a new one.

I like talking about dreams. There’s something about them that makes me hopeful and inspired. I guess, the idea of having dreams we wish to achieve gives us reasons to actually do something. Anyway, I mentioned how the soundtrack makes me feel happy, so here.

No comments: