Monday, January 17, 2011

Immersion Weekend in Barangay Galvan

I’m sorry for the unannounced hiatus. It’s just that a lot of things have been happening lately that I just couldn’t find the time and energy to post anything. For one thing, I’ve been very sick last week. I’m not entirely sure why I have been practically vomiting everything I’ve eaten or why I have had splitting headaches and tummy aches for three days last week. But I’m okay now, so I don’t feel the need to go back to the doctor to get checked. Heehee. Aside from my sick leave, I’ve been doing a lot of school work, reading readings, interviewing EB applicants, and writing chapter four of our thesis. I’m still doing those things right now, but I’m stalling hence the blog post.

I also wanted to show you the pictures I took using my cellphone about my adventure last January 7-9 in Barangay Galvan, Guimba, Nueva Ecija. As part of the requirements for our theology class, we are to go on a three-day immersion in specific provinces in Luzon or in different sectors in the city. I was scheduled to go live with the farmers in Nueva Ecija. A greater part of me was really nervous, not because of the community I’ll be living with, but more of the sad truth that I don’t really know anyone from my immersion group. I was initially transferred from one group because I had to take the UST Medical Admission test on the supposed day of my immersion. So anyway, I had to be confident enough to go on this immersion without knowing anyone.

It was a three-hour bus ride from Cubao to Guimba where we rode another jeepney going to the barangay of Galvan. To be honest, it exceeded my expectations. I’m not saying this because I’m aloof or anything, but when I think of farmers, I immediately think of bahay kubo. A part of me felt sad for not seeing any more bahay kubo in the barangay. Hihi.

Upon our arrival, we were introduced to our foster family. I was extremely happy to know that my foster mother, Nanay Heidi, had grandchildren named Judy Ann, Ipoy and the baby boy Santino. We walked to her house which was adjacent to three or four houses. These other houses beside Nanay’s house belonged to her children who already had families of their own. She then directed us to the house we’ll be staying in. It was nice to know that we had a bukid as a backyard. I’ve never seen a rice field that wide and clear.

 Meet Judy Ann and Baby Santino, my foster siblings

Judy Ann told me I was her favorite because she met me first. Secretly, she was also my favorite because I felt so loved and liked by her. Whenever we go out of their house to stroll, she'd always hold my hand and feel proud that I was her sister. It felt really good. And it was comforting to have someone like her whom I can talk to about their family and how life goes in their barangay. 

 Ducks everywhere!

One of my immersion groupmates said her family served her with Adobong Bibe with the duck's milk as the dish's sauce. I wonder how that tasted like. People in this community don't usually serve meat or duck for their everyday meals. Aside from meat being very expensive, I'm guessing they prefer vegetables and fish over meat. 

 Bukid Backyard

I now miss waking up in the morning to something as beautiful as this. It wasn't my alarm that woke me up every morning during immersion; it was the sound of the ducks, the goats, the cows, and the dogs running around our backyard.

 Pusoy with the kids

 House window

I like how our windows were so comfortable since they allowed a lot of cool breeze to enter the house. I don't think there's ever a need for electric fans in places like this barangay. The weather was always the nice kind of warm.

John Paul

He was the cousin of my foster sister Judy Ann. We heard stories about John Paul crying because his family did not have any visitors from Ateneo. I also heard that he was gay, but I loved him anyway. He was so sweet to all of us and even asked for any kind of remembrance from us. I gave him a really tight hug!

 Kalbo 

John Paul's cousin Kalbo was really named as Rain Mark, mainly because it was raining during Kalbo's birth and first birthday.


On our first night in Galvan, we were lucky enough to have been invited to the Sayawan on the eve of a Galvan couple's wedding. You see, when they say Sayawan, they meant the traditional form of it and not the kind we're used to in clubs or bars. Sayawan, Galvan style, would require all dalaga (bachelorettes) to sit on chairs while the binata (bachelor) would ask the ladies to dance. It's something that's quite unusual, but enjoyable nonetheless. I danced with four Ilocanos that night, both young and old. HAHA.


Bayanihan 

These elderly women were washing plates and when one of our groupmates asked why they were washing plates, the women simply said they wanted to be of help to the couple who were about to get married. Would you help your neighbor even if you're not getting in return? I'm not so sure if I would.

(Almost) Newlyweds

"Oh when will they come?" said the fair maidens.

The next day, we had to wake up really early since we were scheduled to plant rice on our second day. And we did! One whole hectare planted with rice. It was cool and wasn't as hard as I expected it to be.

Nanay Heidi and her basket




After planting rice, we went to Tatay Randy's bahay kubo near the rice field to bring him lunch and to eat with him too. We brought fish, pinakbet and softdrinks to the kubo. At the back of his nipa hut, he was planting different kinds of vegetables like upo, tomatoes and sili. He would've allowed us to pick some if the vegetables were in season.


 Min Down!

In the afternoon, when we're done with all the house chores, we played softball - using a bamboo stick and a tennis ball. But I have to tell you, these kids are good, really good. We lost to them by 5 homeruns I think. Good vibes definitely. Every time a player is out, the kids would shout "Min dooown!" I didn't know it meant "men down" or an out.

 I helped Judy Ann cook the rice with charcoal

While the others were playing, we decided to come with Nanay to the town proper to buy food and probably some breakfast for the next day. It looked like your typical palengke, but with some weird stuff being sold. 

 Tinapa

Another kind of fish

Kwek-kwek + Chicken Skin

And finally, on our last night, we prepared a community night with all the people from the barangay. It was my first time to sing in front of people, and lemme tell you, it was not good. Haha!


After a week, I received a call from Judy Ann thanking me for the gift we sent her through our formator. It was just a collection of pictures that I've put together into one frame. It wasn't much, but hearing Judy Ann, it felt like it was the nicest gift she's ever received. I'm really happy to hear from her and to know that they're still okay over there. But what I'm really thankful for is the opportunity given to me to experience living with the farmers.

I wouldn't call their lifestyle a difficult one, nor was it the best choice for anyone. But I'll tell you this, they were the people who taught me how to take things easily, with no care for time or stress. The goodie bag we gave them was not enough to show how thankful I was for this immersion experience.

No comments: