Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How To Cut Your Bangs

Disclaimer: Not necessarily the nicest or most proper way to cut them though.


I woke up this morning thinking I badly need a haircut, but my mom greatly disapproved because she said my hair looks better long and because graduation is coming in a few months, hence the need for longer hair. Not much logic there. Haha. So fine, I regressed and settled into cutting my bangs instead.


You see, I’ve accustomed myself to cutting my bangs myself instead of going to the salon and paying an unnecessary amount just to have some hair trimmed when I can do the same thing myself. Of course, do-it-yourself’s rarely turn out as polished as the real thing, and this remains true for everyone. I mean, it’s nice to be artsy and creative once in a while, but seriously, DIY has been cursed to turn out with a few glitches. This remains true for me, not sure if it turns out the same for you.


Anyway, here are the steps into cutting your bangs – Mia style.


1. Gather the preferred amount(?) of hair you want to cut in the middle of your face. If you want thicker bangs, gather more hair. If not, do otherwise. I’m lucky enough to have old bangs that I use as reference when I want to shorten my bangs, so I don’t have to worry if I’m cutting too thick or too thin.





2. Twist the gathered hair like the one shown in the picture. This is actually the trick in cutting bangs so they won’t turn out awkwardly straight since as you cut, you form a crescent outline from your new bangs.




3. Using your scissors (I used the usual paper scissors at home), cut based on your preferred length. BUT WAIT. First thing to remember, what you see is not necessarily what you get! If you want bangs that are just a little above your eyebrows, you are NOT supposed to cut the twisted and gathered hair on that same level of your eyebrows. Otherwise, you’ll end up with bangs that are WAY above your above your eyebrows. What you should do is cut at least one inch below your eyebrows if you want your bangs to fall just above your brows. Got it?




And voila! Trimmed bangs done at home!





But as mentioned, my DIYs more often than not turn out badly and this little experiment this morning was no exception. I wanted my bangs longer, but I think I cut them too short. Now I have short hair with unexpected and unwanted full bangs. Oh well, as any bad haircut relief quote would say, it’ll get better after a few days.


 My assistant/photographer for today

No comments: